Due to the large scope of skills required of our volunteers, Swan unit trains once a week, every Wednesday night.
Some of the training provided to our members includes (but not limited to):
- First aid and casualty handling
- Using radio equipment
- Map and Navigation skills
- Land Search
- Fire Support, including air support for helitacs and air intel
- 4WD and Vehicle Recovery
- Storm damage repair
- Sandbagging/floodwater diversion
- Teamwork and leadership skills
- Chainsaw operation
- Hydraulics, generators, pumps
Once inducted, members also have the ability to attend DFES run courses for further ‘advanced’ qualifications.
We also join other local units for combined training and joint exercises.